Saturday, August 4, 2012

So much more than just pickin' raspberries...

This summer I've had the opportunity to pick raspberries and it's been wonderful doing so ~ making jam and freezing berries to "put away" for my family throughout the next year. It has meant more to me than that tho...all because I've picked at my dear friend Leroy's! He has a garden that is purely delightful and has all sorts of yummy goodness! I happened upon raspberry picking by default...another friend {Renee} had first dibs however was on vacation after the first picking.  I was able to have 3 more pickings!
 Lucky me!

We met Leroy and his beloved wife Wilma while going to church at Airway Heights Baptist Church. I just love them both and had such a special friendship with Wilma. She was known as "Mama" to all of us who loved her. She was such a kind and gentle soul and I miss her. "Mama" passed away just 4 short years ago and I know Leroy's world has never been the same. One way he has kept active and busy is by tending to his most incredible garden.

Come take a look with me at my 3 pickins...

 PICKING #1
Leroy's dog ~ LADY ~ she's amazing! Came out and kept us company as we picked and funny thing...
SHE LOVED EATING THE BERRIES!!!
This was my most FAVORITE part of picking! He picked on the west side as I picked on the east side and we had the best {heartfelt} conversation! We talked about his daily activities, reminisced about "Mama", talked about my family and just generally got "caught up"! We don't attend the same church anymore and sadly life just keeps us both busy and going in different directions. I know it's just the natural process of life however I was reminded again how important certain folks are to my life! I smiled when I saw the above picture because it reminded me of Wilson on the TV show Home Improvement and we never saw his face ~ just the top of his head or his eyes...
Leroy was my Wilson!

Came home that night and made freezer jam ~ YUMMO!!!
Added bonus: Leroy sent home goodies from his garden ~
Brocolli, Cauliflower, Onions, Garlic and Carrots!!!
Felt like I went to The Fowler Farmers Market!!!
 PICKING #2
Favorite part of this pickin' was my Nat came with me! I'm pretty sure we ate as many berries as we picked ~ isn't that the best part?!?!?
Pretty pretty ROSES from his garden for my kitchen!

 PICKING #3
Best part of picking #3 was my mom and friend Joyce {visiting from Idaho} helped me pick! Was a treasured time!!!
 I'm sure the pick was so amazing because of my mom's lucky turquoise sun hat...
...just sayin'...
I froze this picking and "put them up" so we would have fresh berries for smoothies & such...
RASPBERRIES ARE NATALIES FAV!!!

Just a glimpse into this little piece of paradise...

NEXT it will be TIME for GREEN BEANS!!!

We used to pick, snap & can green beans with Grammy Pat & Grandpa Al. He didn't grow them this year so Leroy grew some and said I could come get 'em! Just the other day Grandpa Al gave me all the CANNING SUPPLIES ~ pressure cooker and jars ~ I'm not sure how I feel about doing it without them ~ we always had the best time and made so many wonderful memories!

HOWEVER...IT'S TIME ~

I NEED TO BE A BIG GIRL!
I'M READY... so BRING ON THE BEANS!!!

1 comment:

  1. Fun!!! The jam looks amazing! I didn't get any raspberries here this year. Not sure if I missed them or what. :( Great fun pics!

    ReplyDelete