Thursday, October 18, 2012

REMEMBERING ~ Laura Jennifer Miller


As this time of October approaches each year, I'm flooded with so many memories of my sweet sister Laura. Today it has been 24 years since she went HOME to be with OUR Lord! I know it is normal to remember so vividly many details surrounding that time ~ some such sweet tender memories ~ others filled with so much sadness I can't and don't usually let my mind or heart make the trek toward them. Time is such a great and natural balm of healing. I am so glad! Some years are filled with greater remembrance and emotion.  I have found this year ~ 24 years later ~ to be one of those years! I don't know what to attribute it to...maybe because I've reconnected through facebook with so many friends from all those years ago that Laura and  I went to high school with...maybe it's because this summer I was reunited with my aunt and cousins whom I haven't seen since my sisters funeral...maybe it is just returning from the most wonderful visit with friends in Florida that knew and loved my sister so deeply......maybe...maybe...don't know why and it really doesn't matter why.
I just am!!!

Each and everyday, at some point and time,  I think of dear Laura Jennifer Miller ~ sometimes it's a fleeting thought, sometimes it's a time that lingers filled with treasured memories of our growing up years and other times wondering what my life would have been with her here on earth with me the past 24 years! The sister part of my heart is a very tender part and many times a part I guard carefully.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is found in the book of Ecclesiastes and it's a gentle reminder to me that to everything there is a time and a season...I do find great comfort in that. Especially on days like today when I'm just human and  I don't understand. 

A wonderful memory I do have of God's perfect timing...
The Friday before Laura's accident (October 14th) she drove herself & the same 4 girls that were in the accident from Salem, Oregon to Tacoma, Washington to see all of their families. She dropped off Karena, Jamie, Susan and Wendy at their homes and then she came to my home in DuPont. My parents lived in Idaho at the time. Laura usually always wanted to be on the go...go...go...however this particular weekend she said she just wanted to stay home and enjoy being together. She wanted her best friend, Shannon to come spend the weekend too. We had the most precious time...she spent many hours holding our first born son Tyler who was just 3 months old. I cooked her favorite meals. We did go a concert that Saturday night at Life Center in Tacoma. That was only thing I could get her to leave the house for. I told her Jim bought us tickets so we kinda needed to use them! :) We both talked on the phone to my mom and dad for over 2 hours that Saturday. My mom, of course, wishes she could have seen Laura that weekend however she's always been so gracious to me and told me she was glad Laura was with me. She went that Sunday afternoon (October 16th) and picked up the 4 girls and they headed back to college. They were all freshman in their 3rd week of college. The next evening (October 17th)  those same 5 girls piled in my sisters car to go for pizza. The accident happened just a couple miles from the college. Karena and  Jamie were killed instantly. Laura lived until the next morning on October 18th. Wendy and  Susan suffered very serious injuries that required months & months of recovery.  It was just that ~ a car accident. It has forever changed my life and the lives of countless others.

I won't promise that I understand why these things happen.
 I don't.
I will promise that time is a great healer.
It is.
I won't promise that somedays the tears still won't stop flowing.
They don't.
I will promise that MY GOD'S GRACE IS ALWAYS SUFFICIENT.
It is. For me.

No comments:

Post a Comment