Thursday, February 23, 2012

the POWER of WORDS

Words and what we utter from our lips and even sometimes on paper can be so powerful. To some people words and how they are conveyed and expressed are so important. I am one of those people who's "love language" is words of affirmation primarily. {If you have never studied Love Languages I would encourage everyone to do so...it can literally transform a marriage and help in parenting and it just in general to how we relate to family and friends.} One of my mom's primary love languages is also words of affirmation. I was reminded of that this past weekend when we went over to her house...they were notes that each of us had left her taped around her kitchen! It made me smile! That is something I would do! I save notes, letter, voice messages and emails. I re-read and re-listen to them often especially if I need encouragement or am just missing that particular person who left me the messages. It just does my heart good! My mom is one of those rare people who still writes and mails letters and cards and I love that about her. I love when I re-read cards and notes she sent me through the many years. Not long ago I opened my mail box and lo and behold there was a sweet note from my sweet mama...she just said she realized that since she lives in Spokane she had not written me in a long time! I treasure that!

 Thought I would share the notes Jim, Natalie and I left my mom ~ it just brings a smile to my face and heart ~

Just a couple of the love notes taped on my mom's kitchen wall!

First, I left this note and then Jim left

this note! I already had left my mom's so I didn't realize he wrote one too! His made me laugh!

I did stop there Fri night but she changed her mind and made the casserole with these ingredients this week instead so I'm pretty certain a stop at her house on the way to or from my nail appt. tomarrow is in order! Don't you think that's a good idea? It was kind of cute ~ Natalie told me she notices Grammy gets out ingredients for certain meals and they might sit on the counter for a few days until she makes it. I asked Nat what the problem was with that...she said nothing at all she just wondered why she did it. I said I didn't know I just know she's done that my whole life. What confused Nat was the fact that there might be all the ingredients for a meal on the counter but Grammy makes a whole other meal. I asked my mom that night {because then I was curious after all these years} and she said simply she likes to make sure she has everything and then when she's hungry for it she all prepared! Sounds good to me!

Nat lives with my mom {it is going so well for both of them} so she even leaves mom notes! SWEET!


Words you see no matter how simple or elaborate are good for the soul! Take the time to drop a friend or loved one a quick note or send an email. I like reading those too! Even through facebook and texting words can be helpful and needful to someone. You just never know what somebody is going through at that very moment when they read your words of love and encouragement!

1 comment: