Saturday, January 7, 2012

Carrying out a tradition...

 

Many of you know I was a caregiver for the most phenomenal lady and she passed away August 2, 2011. My life was blessed beyond measure by her and her Godly example. I was also privileged to become a special part of her whole family. CJH {as I will reference her for the privacy of her family} was the most amazing grandma to her 5 grandchildren and she had many traditions with them throughout all their  years together.

Christmas was her most favorite time of the year...she decorated her home in the prettiest pinks and softest blues and loved giving gifts and having large family dinners. One of the traditions she started many many years ago was giving each grandchild a skier ornament and $50 to go skiing. One of her grandchildren actually still has all the boxes and notes that came with all the ornaments. Her grandchildren have special trees that only host the precious ornaments from their grandma. 

When I began caring for CJH a few years ago I was thoroughly amazed at the relationship she held with each one of her 5 grandchildren and their spouses. I learned the first Christmas of the ornament tradition because at that time she could still go out and pick them out. The 2nd year I was there, CJH couldn't go out anymore however she made arrangements for her yearly tradition! The next year I just assumed that would be taken care of again but somehow it got missed. Those grand kids were one sad bunch of kids...{kids ranging in age from 38-48}...nothing to do with the $50 but everything to do with the tradition of the skier ornament from their sweet grandma.

So last year I picked out several ornaments for CJH to choose from and she picked out a very beautiful glass male and female skier ornament for each grandchild and their spouse. We also put an extra skier snowman ornament on the package to make up for the missing ornament the year before!
They were most happy!!!

In January of 2011, I found 4 vintage Santa skier ornaments on ebay and CJH bought them so we would have them and I just knew I would find the 5th. {I had seen them in at antique stores so I figured it wouldn't be too hard} CJH especially love being so ahead of the game and having that tradition started so early in the year! One of her strongest suites was being prepared!!! :)
Her family will all appreciate that comment!!!

In October 2011 just 2 months after CJH had passed away, 2 of her granddaughters and I were at the Custers Antique Show here in Spokane. One of her granddaughters spotted the very ornament I was on the lookout for...she had it in her hands...I didn't know what I could do! I just took it from her hands {something I never do} and said I NEEDED to buy that particular ornament. She did seem kinda perplexed and I assured her she would indeed understand one day very soon!!!

That is the story behind this skier ornament and it's wonderful tradition!

My sweet and very talented husband Jim wrote the poem that I included with the ornament this year...

A small token of immense love
Gifted each ending year
Just to say yet one more time
Who's cherished and held so dear
And even though this is the last
To hang upon the tree
The memories unending go
So keep them close to thee

The 5 grandchildren opened these packages together on Christmas Eve seated around the grand kids Christmas Tree that is at one the grandchildrens homes!

What a precious memory!!!

1 comment: