Thursday, December 15, 2011

Oh Shiny Brite...responsible for so much happiness both past and present

Shiny Brite Ornaments...just the name of them makes me happy! Makes me smile! The words SHINY and BRITE in the same sentence...how can one not smile??? I have lots of these festive ornaments...some are vintage and some are newer. Either way I LOVE SHINY BRITE!!! Just can't help myself!!! The colors are so vibrant and rich and as far as the vintage ones I just love to think about their past history and the many trees of yesteryear they may have hung on!!! Oh the stories they could tell if only my
SHINY BRITE ornaments could talk...



Oh Shiny Brite, you look so perfect in so many spots throughout my home...

In a vintage jar on my kitchen island...


In an enamelware pan sitting on my kitchen floor...


On the little silver tree in the living room...love this picture because Jim and Nat were down on the floor playing and having a good ol' time with Saylah and all of sudden she just stopped and stared at this tree and was quite mesmerized by the lights and of course shiny brites! The sheer magicalness of the season as far as I'm concerned...Christmas through the eyes of a sweet child!!!



They look so pretty hanging on the garland that adorns my big Santa shelf...

In a smaller enamelware pot...all crackled and aged...

The vintage boxes look wonderful throughout the displays in my home...I especially love if a box has the original price tag with store name on it! Those are the best!!! My friend Shara told me she found a box where she lives in Illinois that had the price tag with the store name Grandpa's on it! She asked the sales lady in the antique store about that store and she said indeed it used to be the local drugstore in that town that everyone loved. Used to be! That's the thing...I so miss the stores like that...Woolworths & JJ Newberry's being my top 2 favorites! Those stores in my mind were so incredible. Newberry's was a store my sister and I grew up back in Pennsylvania. There was one on the little city street in between Scranton National Bank {where our mom worked} and Bunnells Hardware {where our dad worked}. I remember occassionally going there after school while we waited for our parents to get off work. There were little grill/eating areas at those kind of stores...we thought we were pretty special if we got to eat there or sit up at the counter and have a coke! Makes me laugh now because I can't imagine eating now at a local drugstore!!!   This last week I was feeling especially nostalgic so I went to Cheney to Ben Franklin {yes we still have one!}...it's the closest thing still around to that ol' time feeling...however there is nothing quite like Woolworths or Newberrys!


The ones that have scenes and pretty things on them of that soft { I don't know what it is} flocking material are at the top of my favorite Shiny Brites list!!!

The colors are so beautiful...especially lime green...that my favorite color ya know!

They add just the right amount of cheer and color my display on my coffee table!


You just never know in my home at Christmas where you might spot a Shiny Brites however when you do I hope it brings a smile to your face & heart as it does mine!!!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it and all of your Christmas decorations!
    PS: you are like, so beyond Martha Stewart...you rock, girlfriend, at decorating!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shiny brites too. Love your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your decorations, they really are shiny and bright and I enjoyed reading about your drugstore memories.

    ReplyDelete