Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember...10 years ago...9/11



What I remember about that dreadful morning 10 years ago...I remember Jim came in our bedroom to kiss me goodbye and he told me he didn't know what was going on but something was happening in NYC. It was about 6:30 a.m. I got up and went to turn on the news and I SAW IT! The 2nd tower was hit! MY COUNTRY WAS UNDER ATTACK!!!! I remember feeling disbelief and shock. I remember calling Jim at work and telling him what I had just witnessed. I remember getting the children up and watching the news together. I remember opening my front door and my sweet friend Shara was standing there with her big brown eyes and asking if she could come in. We couldn't even speak...we were just in shock. We lived on Fairchild Air Force Base here in Spokane and both our husbands were of course at work. Because we lived on a military base it was so surreal. The base was locked down. All signs of important buildings were covered in tarps for protection. We couldn't leave the base. There were armed tanks at the entrance to the base. I remember there was a prayer service at our church Airway Heights Baptist Church however we could not go as we were not allowed to leave the base. So we stayed at home and prayed and waited for news all the while still in disbelief. I did receive phone calls from some friends on base that were holding prayer time at their homes. I remember feeling if I felt the way I did how much more so were the people in NYC and surrounding areas feeling because their loved ones were in danger. They were waiting and wondering about their loved ones.So many precious lives lost that day and the days and years that followed.

I still cannot believe MY COUNTRY was attacked! WE WILL NEVER FORGET! It always amazes me that in my lifetime something so horrendous happened. I remember not having much feeling when my Poppy would share about Pearl Harbor and WWII and the time surrounding when OUR COUNTRY was attacked. I remember on 9/11 thinking that someday as I share with my grandchildren about September 11, 2001 they would feel disconnected just as I did when my grandparents shared time surrounding December 7, 1941! Such significant dates and events. Both part of history!

I remember being glued to the round the clock news in disbelief. I remember just praying and watching and waiting. Our lives were forever changed that day.
My COUNTRY was attacked that morning! My COUNTRY did recover!
My COUNTRY is still standing!

UNITED WE STAND!

What I want to remember today are the lives that continue to be sacrificed in the war efforts all due to the fact that MY COUNTRY was attacked 10 years ago today! 

THANK YOU TO OUR MILITARY, FIREFIGHTERS, POLICE FORCE AND CIVILIANS
from the bottom of my heart for all the sacrifices made so that I may have all the freedoms I do and have the honor of living in
MY BELOVED COUNTRY!

MAY WE NEVER EVER FORGET

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment